Explore the differences between rocks and minerals by observing the properties of rock samples, and sorting them based on those properties.
In the module, Rocks and Minerals, students investigate minerals, on which they perform tests similar to those conducted by geologists to determine luster, hardness, color, and ability to transmit light, strengthening their ability to conduct experiments and record and interpret their data. Students develop an understanding that rocks and minerals have unique properties that may be identified by observation and testing and that help determine how these earth materials are used.
During this course, participants will:
- Engage in three-dimensional learning for developing disciplinary core ideas, science and engineering practices, and cross cutting concepts
- Participate as an adult learner to experience investigations and science and engineering content
- Share teaching strategies to support literacy and inquiry-based learning
- Identify the learning goals in the module and how the investigations support the Big Ideas
- Examine assessment opportunities
- Develop notebook as a resource