In the module, How Can We Stop Soil From Washing Away?, students will examine photographs and models of certain changes in the land caused by flowing water and blowing wind. They will engage in a literacy activity that highlights the successful and unsuccessful ways people have attempted to minimize the impact water and wind have on the land. Then they will use a stream table as a model to compare multiple solutions designed to prevent water from changing the shape of the land. The end-of-module summative performance assessment asks students to apply the evidence gathered in previous lessons to a scenario-based engineering design challenge.
During this course, participants will:
- Engage in three-dimensional learning for developing disciplinary core ideas, science and engineering practices, and cross cutting concepts
- Participate as an adult learner to experience investigations and science and engineering content
- Share teaching strategies to support literacy and inquiry-based learning
- Identify the learning goals in the module and how the investigations support the Big Ideas
- Examine assessment opportunities
- Develop notebook as a resource