Catching the Wind is an Earth and Space Science module where students discover and discuss wind and methods that engineers use to capture its energy. Students focus on activities related to understanding how the wind can do work and how to design mechanisms that utilize wind power. Hands-on activities, discussions, and readings focus on mechanical engineering and the Engineering Design Process.
During this course, participants will:
- Engage in three-dimensional learning for developing disciplinary core ideas, science and engineering practices, and cross cutting concepts
- Participate as an adult learner to experience investigations and science and engineering content
- Share teaching strategies to support literacy and inquiry-based learning
- Identify the learning goals in the module and how the investigations support the Big Ideas
- Examine assessment opportunities
- Develop notebook as a resource